I have get use to this recipe since last year when I travelled in Portugal. Especially I remember that I have tasted this in a nice restaurant in Bairro Alto after a daily trip around Lisbon.
In those days I had so much Salted Codfish or called Bacalhau than ever, in portugal they are so good in cooking it! Salted Cod is probably the most traditional ingredient you can find in Portugal.
At the end I pick up this recipe that has been my favorite! I enjoy it also in a really nice atmosphere, a typical familiar conduction restaurant where the meals are partnered by the “Fado” music, a typical Portuguese traditional music. It was the traditional place, the songs or simple the great food that I felt in love with it. Since that time I did it many times by myself and this is the recipe.
Time of preparation: 50 min
– 400 gr of Salted Cod fish (has to be soaked 24h in advance)
– 400 ml milk
– 1 Onion
– 1 clove of garlic
– Extra-virgin olive oil
– 40 gr tablespoon flour
– 40 gr butter
– 500 gr potato (s)
– grated cheese
1. Cook the pieces of cod in milk for 5 min.
2. Cut potatoes in small cubes, the onion in thin slices, the squeeze the garlic clove and fry in the olive oil until the onion be soft and clear.
But attention, we want the potatoes more cooked that fried.
3. Drain the cod (save the milk) and undo in splinters and join at the potatoes, let fry slowly and add the salt and the pepper.
4. Make a béchamel sauce with the milk from the cooked cod: put in pan the butter and sprinkle with flour, then add the milk, and stir. Stirring from time to time until thicken.
5. Torn on the oven at 200°C
6. Put this prepared in a tray of oven and spreads in a top with the creams and grated cheese. Let be gratin for 20 minutes. Serve with a fresh salad of lettuce and tomato.